The Creator Series - Lullatone
Lullatone are a musical duo from Japan. Shawn James Seymour and Yoshimi Tomida. They are melody makers, creating music from using alsorts of instruments, from the human beatbox, their kids toy orchestra, everyday household items like slippers etc. If it can make a unique noise, they'll use it. Their music is known for its innocent, childlike and lo-fi sounds. Taking influences from bossa nova, french pop music and 1960's children's music. Listen to some of their quirky tunes from their Everyday Adventures Music CD here.
1.Tell us a bit about yourself Hi! We are Shawn and Yoshimi from Lullatone. We live in Nagoya, Japan. We try to make optimistic music that sounds like domestic life.
2. How did you start out as musician? Lullatone started as a series of lullabies I (Shawn) wrote for Yoshimi to sleep to. But now we make lots of songs that are good to be awake to too.
3. Are you a collector, or have a collection of anything? Shawn: I have a lot of glockenspiels to make our songs. Yoshimi: I have too many purses, but I'm always looking for new ones to buy.
4. What is your most treasured item you own? Shawn: I like my old Casio SK-1 keyboard. Yoshimi: I like our house. We designed it from scratch.
5. Who/what inspires you and your work? Yoshimi: Reading stories, daydreaming in the bed. Shawn: Deadlines :)
6. Do you know of any childhood fables/tales? Yoshimi: I always liked the book "Hungry Caterpillar" and our son does too!
7. Do you have a lucky charm? Shawn and Yoshimi: We don't, but we like the cereal called "Lucky Charms" We can't get it here in Japan though
8. Where your favourite place in the world and why? Shawn: I like Yoshimi's parents' beach house in Utsumi, Japan. There is no computer or internet and phones don't work well there either. Yoshimi: I like poolsides. If it's poolside, anywhere is ok!
10. Can you take a pic of your workspace? No problem